Monday, October 13, 2014

The Dewbreaker

Like I said in class, I found that the writer of this book did a really good job of walking the line between creating a character that was and was not relatable. In some sense I found myself becoming more engaged with the story because of this. I didn't end up liking it because I completely relate, or putting it down because it's the exact opposite. Instead, I was more engaged, walking this tightrope, actively trying to figure out the main character. 
          I was quite engaged at the very beginning of the story when it seemed like the focus of the story would be on the disappearance of her father. That's also when I found it to be the easiest to relate to Ka. I was disappointed when that mystery so quickly solved itself and was forgotten and took a completely new turn and became more about the relationship between father and daughter. I also felt that the story lacked proper closure, regardless of whether or not it was a section of a bigger story there should have been a little bit more conflict so that ending up where there did felt better. I am close with my father so I found it hard to empathize with Ka and her almost annoyance with her Dad having feelings, and then not getting upset for him throwing the sculpture into the water. On the other hand, I have had my falling outs with my dad so in that sense I can understand the fight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment